This is my very own Risotto recipe that I have created, drawing inspiration from Pontini's Chef, Daniele Sarno and youtube videos. This risotto is a little lighter in taste and the refreshing taste of pumpkin and fresh scallops maket this a perfect summer dish. I have contributed this recipe to Gourmet Living dining publication early this year.
· 2 to 3 cups of chicken broth (use vegetable broth for vegetarian option)
· 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
· 1 small onion, finely chopped
· 1 1/4cup butternut squash purée
· Scallops (according to preference)
· 1 cup arborio rice (Italian short-grained rice)
· 1/4 cup of Sauvignon Blanc white wine
· 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
· 1 tablespoon of chives
1. Heat broth in medium size saucepan and keep warm over low heat.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large saucepan; add onion and butternut squash.
3. Cook over medium heat until onion is translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Add rice to onion and squash. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the wine. Stir constantly until wine has been absorbed by the rice or evaporated. Add a few ladles of broth. Cook over medium heat until broth has been absorbed. Continue stirring the rice, adding a little bit of broth at a time, until it is absorbed. Cook for about 20 to 25 minutes until rice is tender but still firm.
5. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the remaining tablespoon of butter (skip this if you are on a diet), 1 quarter cup of grated Parmesan cheese and chives. The rice should have a creamy texture and consistency.
6. In another pan, saute the scallops till cooked. Add to the risotto.
7. Top with a teaspoon of grated Parmesan cheese
8. Dish is ready to be served.